“How long did it take them to die?”
The man this question was posed to didn’t seem to hear it. He looked in the rearview mirror again and concentrated on his driving. The hour was just past midnight and the streets in lower Cube City were icy. A cold front had swept the sky clear and turned an earlier snow to slick glaze on the asphalt and concrete. The two men were in the rattling, poorly painted Volvo, as ManCave had dubbed the blue streak. It was a few years old; the brakes needed servicing and the tire replacing. But taking a stolen vehicle in for work would not be a wise idea, especially since two of its recent passengers were now murder victims.
The driver—a lean man in his early forties, with a slight accent, trim black hair-made a careful turn down a side street and continued his journey, never speeding, making precise turns, perfectly centered in his lane. He’d drive the same whether the streets were slippery or dry, whether the vehicle had just been involved in murder or not. Careful, meticulous.
How long did it take?
At first you thought I bet you were thinking this was going to be a mystery story didn’t you? Sorry to disappoint you. If you know anything about the Lunch Gang at all, you’d know we’re not like this at all…but we do like to have some fun. Now back to the story at hand.
Still all centered on OM doing a work from home day and part of his applications on his laptop had gone missing. Follow the chain of communications below…
OM: Booted up my PC this morning and IM is gone.. Anyone else having this issue? I know we are supposed to be getting an upgrade soon to Lync, but that is not loaded yet.
ManCave: I see IM. Not OM.
OM: WTF?
ManCave: Is the new IM software (Lync) being pushed out for some starting today?
KC: I still have Communicator, but I also have the looming “Software is about to be installed…” notification.
OM: Not sure.. I don’t see it installed
ManCave: I’ve got the software waiting thing too…I am going to click it and see what installs…maybe my IM will disappear.
OM: Mine showed 8 SW packages to be installed. I just clicked install now. We will see what happens next.
T-Mobile (aka the Driver): I got some software installed yesterday on my laptop (not sure what it is) and I still have IM
Coach: IM is still here. Talking to ManCave now
ManCave: Software installed…no new IM. OM still M.I.A. on IM?
Coach: It must be the Vitamix 750.
OM: Still no IM for OM. Just checked the install progress and it appears that they were all Windows security patches…
T-Mobile (aka the Driver): I just had more security software installed now (some yesterday! and some today), no new IM yet. Old IM still working fine. It sound that we all have IM except OM, is that an indication of some kind!
Coach: There on to us….RUN!
OM: While all of you were stuffing yourselves with bacon and donuts this morning, I was drinking the breakfast of champions thanks to my 7-fitty.
Coach: I’ll be honest…that does look good and I’d drink it. What’s in it?
OM: This morning’s concoction included: coconut water, kale, banana, chia seeds, and a touch of honey. Tasty.
ManCave: W T F is a chia seed?
OM: Same stuff they put on them chia pets.. Only this is the edible version.
ManCave: So the Vitamix is a killing machine? Turning this cute pet into a breakfast shake?
Coach: See…a readymade salad! Nice Work OM.
OM: Yes. That and Cats.
Bago: A little distilled Ammonia and some HCL4 and you’ve got a good buzz…With Chia seeds, you never know what will grow out of your orifices…?
OM: Ok.. so after a long exchange with Rakesh in the Philippines, I was able to figure out that Lync WAS installed yesterday, but for some reason it is not active. I had to request IM access (again) and I was told it would take 2-3 business days to reconnect. I hope this is not the way the general roll out is going to go.
ManCave: But you made a new friend in Rakesh and you get Lync first. Make sure you add Rakesh to your IM list. I hear they make some killer, green shakes out of mango and palm leaves there. You can swap Vitamix recipes.
OM: I can see this is going to stick for a while…
Professor: Yeah, they also have good apricots in that part of the world too. I see a future fruit exchange in the works soon…
Bago: OM, I talked to Queenie. Queenie asked that you communicate the paragraph below and your understanding of the situation to Persephone a.s.a.p. The info you got is all wrong and she can help you.


