Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Episode 04-05-2011 – Run Keeper

Every year around March timeframe people start concentrating on their health; some join health clubs; some start jogging (even though they shouldn't); some take up walking, and others just talk a good game. Well, today's conversation at the Goose Lane Café was on fitness and it didn't take very long for that conversation to go south. Here we go! As you've seen in earlier Episodes, Smokes was diagnosed with an early stage of diabetes which is not a laughing matter. He's really been trying to watch what he eats and going to meetings (prior to this health scare, Smokes didn't even know how to spell "Nike"). The entire Lunch Gang is supporting Smokes in his efforts to get healthy. He also mentioned he would like to train for a 5K run this summer then OM chimed in (OM's a runner). The conversation went something like this…

OM: I've got this great app for my iPhone called "Run Keeper", do you have it?
OM is showing the app to smokes
Smokes: No, but I have something similar.
OM: This is a real good one! It uses GPS to track your every movement, and then you can upload it to their website to measure your fitness levels.
Smokes: The app I have doesn't allow for uploads but it’s Free.
OM: Run Keeper is also free! Its amazing! When I get ready for a run, I just zero everything out, hit start, and take off. Once I'm done, I upload it to their website and it gives me all the details in a report.
Smokes: I'll try it!
OM: Oh yea, you can use it for walking or running…I think you'll like this one Smokes.
Picky Skywalker: You know running is a sign of poor breeding don't you!
Coach: What else can this app do?
OM: It even measures strokes per minute…you know…strokes per minute!
The table just busted into laugher…
OM: Yea; when you download the app to your phone, the company ships you a '"Stroke Strap".
The table just busted into laugher again…
OM: Just before everything starts, attach the phone to the "Stroke Strap", put the phone just above your ass crack, put Run Keeper app into "Action" mode. The app starts playing the famous Berry White song "Can't get enough your love baby"…action on!
The table is now into a roaring…
OM: When you're all done, the phone goes into report mode. It gives you details on "SPM", "TIA", "NOO's", "MSA", etc…
Where in the heck does this guy come up with this stuff?
Smokes: I'm going to download that app right away…I don't care if it costs $20.00.
OM: For historical reporting, you can log into the company website to look at reports if you like. It's a very nice app and I would highly recommend it!

Definitions
SPM – Strokes per Minute
TIA – Time in Action
NOO's – Number of O's
MSA – Mattress Spring Action